Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Different Mindset and my Aha Moment

This morning started off not the greatest, feeling kinda sluggish and my workout buddy had to cancel on me. So I took off my swimsuit and decided to have a lazy morning. I got myself motivated to get to the gym anyways and told myself "I'm going to have a great workout today". I mean I already had everything packed for this morning so there was no excuse.

I made sure to stretch out nicely and proceeded to speed walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes. After about 2 minutes in I realized I was feeling great and why not try running for a minute to see how things felt. So 4 minutes in I bumped up the pace and began running and felt no pain. I swear I had the biggest smile on my face after that minute was up. So I preceded to do the 4 min. walking/1 min. running my PT gave me to start slowly back into running.

The most amazing thing happened is I think I finally found my natural form.....after 3 years of running. I realized during my speedwalking how my body was naturally leaning forward and my steps were coming even and frequently.....MOST of what was wrong with my running form. The lightbulb literally went off in my head and everything just made sense to me.

I proceed to take on my 400 meter swim determined to make progress and slow myself down to help me get the freestyle stoke down. In doing so I was able to focus on my breathing and was much more relaxed. I was able to get down the lane so much easier and make it to the end (25 yds) not feeling like I'd just sprinted for a half mile. It's amazing how powerful our minds really are when we use them in the right ways!!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you!