Monday, March 4, 2013

Race Recap: Point Bock 5 mile

I am trying something different with my recaps, even though I enjoy reliving the day and the memories I want to focus more on what I took away from the day.

If you want to hear about last year's race that I didn't really want to talk about and the walk of shame with Rachel, well here it is.

1. This is the third year that I have signed up for this and the FIRST time I could actually run it. I was so excited I wanted to just jump up and down and scream it to everyone. I am so glad to be rid of the injury bug and it holding me back over the winter. I feel really good going into this Spring and it's a good thing as I have some pretty lofty goals I set for myself this year. Side note: I have never put my goals out there like this as it's alot easier to just push them aside if you don't meet them.

2. I can finally claim I'm faster than my husband in this distance. He ran this race two years ago with his sister while I was on the sidelines. He did no training for it, just straight up used some running shoes he randomly bought and random clothes put together so he wouldn't get cold. It still bothers the crap out of me amazes me that he can just pull it out of nowhere. He had a very respectable 48:18 time that after two 5 mile races I had yet to surpass, but it was close. I had it in my head going in to this that I would finally beat his time and I actually wanted to hit 45:XX. My goal was to hover around a 9:09 pace (sub 2 hour pace) so I could prove to myself I could do it. Well, I managed an overall 8:54 pace and finished in 44:30!!!

3. Enjoying several post race beers that were well earned with the bestest group of running buds!! I can't believe how many people I have met from this sport and where it has taken my life the past few years. I was able to talk to a lady for awhile towards the beginning and chat, until I told her I had to shut up if I expected to keep up the pace we were running! I never realized I missed my competitive side within myself and now I'm constantly looking to improve and push myself to be the best I can be. I really want to find my limit and then go beyond it.

Here are my splits (obviously mile 3 - 4 was the most challenging for me and was a gradual uphill)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we didn't have to do the walk of shame again this year! Not only that, but we kicked some ass. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice race! Beating the husband is the best part ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!